(Part 1 of a 3 part series)
Spring is always SPRUNG on us so quickly. With the beautiful weather and the kids Spring activities, it’s easy to foget these IMPORTANT Saftey Tips.
Here are 6 of our Tips…:
• Replace your furnace filter
• Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter
• Check your electrical system
• Always have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible.
• Make sure the light bulbs in all your fixtures are the correct wattage
• Protect all your electrical appliances from power surges and lightning
Replace or clean your furnace filter.
It should be checked once a month and replaced or cleaned as needed. Some filters are reusable and are supposed to be taken out, washed with a hose and re-inserted. A dirty filter can lower the efficiency of the heating/cooling system, increase heating costs and cause fires.
Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter.
Keeping this clean of cooking grease will help keep a stovetop fire from spreading.
Check your electrical system.
•Look for burn marks at the main electrical panel; they can be a sign of arcing inside the panel, which can easily lead to a fire. Loose connections or damaged insulation can cause the arcing. Note: Only a qualified electrician should remove the front panel cover.
•Trip and reset the circuit breakers regularly.
•Remove any combustible materials such as paper boxes or flammable liquids from the area near the main electrical panel. Sparks caused by arcing inside the panel can ignite material stored nearby.
•Check all electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs they are an indication of a worn out receptacle. Worn receptacles should be replaced as they cause overheating and fires. Also check electrical outlets and switches to be sure they work properly. If any switches, outlets or receptacles do not work, have a qualified electrician determine the problem and fix it to avoid fires inside the walls of your home.
•Install safety covers to help protect children from electrical shock. Any appliance or tool that gives even the slightest shock should be unplugged and checked by an electrician or repair shop.
Always have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible.
Make sure it is Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed or Factory Mutual (FM) approved. Check the gauges to make sure they are charged and ready to use.
Protect all your electrical appliances from power surges and lightning.
Read more at http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be_safe/home/learning_besafe_athome_elec.asp